Wednesday 13 November 2019

The Polish Plunge


Krakow is a quaint city filled with a rich history and I absolutely loved my stay. The Main Square and Old Town are so beautiful that I wanted to just hang out and soak it in! Even in my limited time at Krakow I came home filled with warm memories not only of the city but also its people.
Do I believe 2 days is sufficient to explore Krakow? Nope! But that’s all I had, effectively. I was in Krakow on business for 1 week but only got 1 weekend to sightsee. I’m still glad I got the Krakow experience. 




Krakow is not too big, I got the grasp of moving about the city within 2 days and that’s saying a lot because my sense of navigation works only half the time.
What can one expect at Krakow? Culture and Pubs! It’s a city of students. Education is free of cost! The main square within the old town is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. That means it must stay untouched, but it does not mean nobody’s using it! Its charming to walk through the old town. I did a walking tour of the old town and Jewish quarter and it was the best thing to do on rainy afternoon. The Wawel Castle is beautiful, looks right out a fairy tale. I wish I had more time to walk though it instead of just peek into the courtyard. Krakow has an interesting past and the walking tours did justice by giving a quick history lesson. The city has a mix of cultures in its history and as a result a very interesting mix of architecture. 




German concentration camp of Auschwitz-Birkenau
One of the important pieces of Krakow is its importance during WW2. It is heartbreaking to hear the ghastly stories inside Auschwitz-Birkenau. Even recollecting it is saddening so I will only write this quote from the memorial built inside Birkenau:

For Ever Let this place be a cry of despair and a warning to humanity, where the Nazis murdered about one and half million men, women, and children, main Jews from various countries of Europe.
Auschwitz-Birkenau
1940-1945



I had one of the best hot chocolates in Krakow. I’d mark it as a must try! E.Wedel Chocolate Lounge in Main Square!
I visited in October and it was raining most days with 1-2 sunny days during my week-long stay.




Travelling in Krakow – Public Transport is awesome! I stayed about 30mins away from office and had to take a tram and a bus to reach there. I found it challenging on day 1, rest of the days went so smooth.
Food at Krakow – I never had a problem with food, being a vegetarian to boot! Lots of options and I loved those buffet restaurants where you pick what you like to eat, and you pay on its weight! Also found lots of Indian restaurants!
Must see
  • Main Square – spend the whole day exploring and watch the St. Mary’s Basilica during sunset. It’s beautiful. Also save some time to visit the basilica. 
  • Auschwitz-Birkenau 
  • Wawel Castle
  • There is also a famous salt mine which I did not get time to visit.


Must do
  • Walking Tour of Krakow Old Town
  • Visit the E.Wedel Chocolate Factory
  • Pub hop – craft beers are a must try!
  • Must eat – dumplings and Beetroot soup!
Travelling in Krakow – Download the Jakdojade app and purchase day/week pass. The app is also great in showing you the routes, arrival and departure of the buses and trams.



No comments:

Post a Comment